Chinese Parents
Alice Leung

How to best teach spoken Cantonese and written Chinese?

Hi!

I am grappling with the challenge of figuring out how to teach spoken Cantonese and written Chinese to a group of children 4-7 years old. Some of them come from mixed-race or mixed-ethnicity households and are trying to learn how to speak Cantonese. Our focus is on how developing their conversation skill, and expose them to written Chinese through stories and flash cards. However, the discrepancy between spoken and written Cantonese-Chinese presents the need to sometimes translate things twice 1) translate the written Chinese into how it is spoken, so that the kids will know how you should use it in speech, then 2) translate it in English so they understand what it means. How can it be done to minimize confusion and increase the chances of language acquisition?

I'm really scratching my head on this one! Does anyone with more experience have strategies or ways to approach this?

Thanks!

Illustrations, pictures, visuals all are important aspects. You need to speak to them constantly in Cantonese and point to things and say things multiple times. At that age, they'll pick it up. Flash cards with the objects would be good. Singing is very good... find some songs they might like. Youtube: "TF Boys" my son likes them.

Illustrations, pictures, visuals all are important aspects. You need to speak to them constantly in Cantonese and point to things and say things multiple times. At that age, they'll pick it up. Flash cards with the objects would be good. Singing is very good... find some songs they might like. Youtube: "TF Boys" my son likes them.

I'm interested in resources in teaching my daughter (4) and son (1) Cantonese as well, and I was interested in your reply in this thread. When I looked up TF Boys on YouTube, I only saw Mandarin music videos. Do they sing in Cantonese as well?

Hi!

I am grappling with the challenge of figuring out how to teach spoken Cantonese and written Chinese to a group of children 4-7 years old. Some of them come from mixed-race or mixed-ethnicity households and are trying to learn how to speak Cantonese. Our focus is on how developing their conversation skill, and expose them to written Chinese through stories and flash cards. However, the discrepancy between spoken and written Cantonese-Chinese presents the need to sometimes translate things twice 1) translate the written Chinese into how it is spoken, so that the kids will know how you should use it in speech, then 2) translate it in English so they understand what it means. How can it be done to minimize confusion and increase the chances of language acquisition?

I'm really scratching my head on this one! Does anyone with more experience have strategies or ways to approach this?

Thanks!

Hi Alice, I'd be interested to see if you've found any good resources for teaching Cantonese to this age group!

TF Boys is only in Mandarin. I haven't found a pop group for boys in Cantonese unfortunately. :'D

So far, our son is doing ok in Chinese. We primarily speak to them in Cantonese and they are fine at it. There are some words that even I have to look up.

Other than that, the Peppa pig Cantonese is pretty good that's posted here. PM Andrew (admin) or myself if you can't find it.

The other option is radio and TVB